Goal: To explore the operation and potential of drones
- SOLE – 2 periods
- Overview/Goals and Need to Know
- Team Planner and Social Contract *Social Contract examples
- Safety / Maintenance / Operating Procedure *See reference section below
- Make sure drone is safe to fly. All parts secure
- Put on safety glasses and go to the flight area (hallway)
- Check battery and insert correctly – step away 5 ft – announce to all your flight intentions (“We’re connecting”)
- Check flight area for obstacle or people. Do not fly or connect unless the area is secure
- Follow connecting procedures (app on, connect to your specific drone number)
- Complete an auto-up and immediately an auto-down to confirm you’ve connected to your own drone
- Practice flights
- Alternate flight with other groups within the flight area.
- Make sure all team members get equal flight time
- Make sure all team members are wearing appropriate eye safety gear
- Practice only required maneuvers
- Auto-up / Auto-down
- From point A to point B
- Do not recharge a discharged battery immediately after use. Wait about 20 minutes before charging it. In any case, if your battery is still warm, this is the sign that it must “rest” before recharging
- To fully charge your battery, allow about 30 minutes. Do not forget: the more a battery will be charged, the fewer round trips you will have to do to recharge it after each flight
- If you are not using your battery, it must be stored correctly. First, never store a fully charged battery. Ideally, it should be stored with a charge of between 20 and 50%, in an environment between 40°F and 75°F that is ventilated and dry
- A LiPo battery has a lifetime of about 300 charge cycles, but it all depends on how you maintain your battery.
- Several factors can significantly reduce the life of a battery.
- Never leave a battery charging for too long.
- Never fully discharge the batteries before recharging them.
- Never expose LiPo batteries to extreme temperatures.
- To preserve your battery as much as possible, be sure to follow the advice below:
- Never store a battery that is fully discharged
- Charge your battery fully when using it for the first time
- Do not charge a battery that is still warm
- Recharge the battery after each use
- Always carry your battery in a bag with fire protection
- Always respect the charging time indicated in the instructions
- Never use a swollen or damaged battery