To experience hands-on basic robotic systems and programming
- How can/will robotic technology impact our future in a positive way?
- What are the required components, factors and skills to build a functioning robot?
- How to program a robot to perform autonomous tasks?
- How to use problem solving step to adapt to errors, mistakes, or faulty equipment
- Students are expected to gently use the robots and related equipment.
- Cleanup and organize all robots and parts – every period
- Groups will use only their assigned robots
A: Slide show
- 1 period: Watch and discuss as a class the implications of robots and AI in our culture/world
- Click here for slide show
- Break/get assigned into teams of 2 students; Get assigned a laptop, a brick/battery, kit. See GC for form (example)
- Discuss work (Class discussion) and cleanup procedures (see Google Classroom)
C: Getting to know the EV3 Brick
D: Build the EV3 Driving Base
- Driving Base build instructions
- Show teacher your finished robot before going on to step E
E: Intro to EV3 Programming
- Watch overview movie on programming.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If your brick is not recognized by the laptop, keeping the brick plugged into the laptop (wired), turn the brick off and then on again. Give this a minute or so….if this doesn’t work, unplug the USB cord and plug back in
- Wireless: If you wish to take the time to try wireless bluetooth, click here for instructions Note that not all laptops are bluetooth enabled
- Complete frequency chart and turn in to GC assignment page
F: Challenges (see other web pages)
Unable to communicate to the Brick? Here are some troubleshooting tips.
For USB connections, try the following:
- Unplug and reconnect the Brick’s USB cable
- If the problem persists, restart the Brick
- Take out the EV3 battery and unplug from your computer and just let the brick sit for 30 seconds or so. Repeat the above steps.
- Reboot your computer, or try using another computer, and repeat the above steps.
- Try using another USB cable and/or USB port and repeat the above steps.
- If you think your USB connection is good and you still can’t see your EV3 drive, try giving the EV3 Brick a reset. You can follow these steps to reset:
- Using a finger from one hand, press the Back button. Keep holding it.
- With your other hand, use two fingers to hold down both the Left button and the Center button. You hold these at the same time while you’re still pressing the Back button.
- Now, release your finger from the Back button.
- When the EV3 Brick says “Starting..” you can let go of the Left and Enter buttons.
You can also watch this How to Reset video.
For Bluetooth verify that:
* Bluetooth is enabled on the Brick
* The “iPhone/iPad/iPod” option on the Brick is not enabled
* The Brick is in range of the computer